
One of the greatest things about living where it is cold is Christmas tree farms! That's how we get our Christmas trees here! You go to a tree farm and walk around until you find the perfect tree. Then you cut it down yourself and take it home! It is the greatest! If this doesn't get you excited about celebrating the Christmas holiday then you are a hopeless scrooge! I mean it starts out cold and none of the trees are very pretty. They are all scrawny or have holes or are crooked. Then, you find one. It's not ever perfect but you can picture it sitting in your living room all lit with sparkling lights and ornaments. All of a sudden, you forget that you can't feel your toes and your face doesn't hurt so much from the wind burn. All the trees start to look a little more promising and the stress melts away. That's what happened to me this afternoon anyway.
I have to admit that this year I was ready to forget all about the entire Christmas hubbub. The presents, decorations, the baking, and all the other work. I wanted to focus on the real reason for the season. But really I'm just tired and wanted to enjoy myself instead of making it enjoyable for others. That's really what a Mom's job is. Making memories for those you love and still being able to participate in the memories. This afternoon I was reminded what an honor it is to help make the memories instead of just experience them.
The closer I grow to Jesus the more He asks me to give up what I want for what others need and want. Which is really what the season is about. God sent His son to earth so that we might be saved from ourselves. To be forgiven! And I will never stop needing that forgiveness, but I never have to worry that it will not be freely given.
So, if anyone else is weary of the work that comes along with Christmas try and remember why it is important. Not just because this is a magical time of year. It is a time of forgiveness. I looked outside a moment ago and my God is coating my world with the most beautiful, pure white snow. I am just like the cold, hard, dead, ugly ground. But God loves me and He is able to make me beautiful again. The snow covers a lot of the barren ugliness of winter but you always know that underneath the snow it's still bear and ugly. That's where God takes it to the next level with you and me. When He washes us clean with the blood of Jesus, He takes the ugly, barren part of us and it is gone. In His eyes we are forever beautiful! How can anyone doubt there is a God and a Savior for this fallen world when you look out your window and see a snow coated wonderland?
Thank You, Lord, for tree farms, snow and the blessing of serving others! Merry Christmas!
1 comment:
Hi Kelli,
I found your blog via Erin's and just wanted to say how much I loved your entry about God's work in our lives and the importance of being a servant. Sounds like you're a great momma!
In Him,
Andrea (Knowles) Casey (HSU days...)
Post a Comment