Thursday, December 15, 2005

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, . . .Wait a minute!

I love the snow! It is so beautiful! But. . . life still has to happen! It snowed all day today and when I say snowed I mean the clouds dumped snow all day! We got at least 7 inches today and that is on top of the 5 or 6 that we already had. In a day or two it will be great because the roads will be cleared and safe. But right now you have to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle to even get up our driveway! I am so thankful that we have access to one because we would be stranded here if not. I am so thankful that we have food at home. It's supposed to keep snowing all night too. In Texas, if there was any accumulation of snow everything shut down. Not here. Of course this is life here. People here are used to this, but this Texas girl is enjoying learning to rough it the Pennsylvania way. I am trying to learn to drive in the snow but it just isn't the same as driving on muddy dirt roads. Speed is not your friend in the snow.
Everyone is still sick so we are enjoying being bundled up on the couch for as long as we can all stand each other. The level of whining has reached an all time record breaking high. I finally just gave in today and put on "The Jungle Book". Everyone was so much happier. I have caught myself being so gruff with the girls lately. I would like to believe that my cold has something to do with it, but I am afraid that I am just characteristically impatient and harsh. I heard FaithLyn yelling at Elise and I yelled back to her, "FaithLyn, stop yellling at your sister! We don't talk to each other that way!" It breaks my heart because I know what it takes to be a good parent yet I still take the easy way out! Everyone says that young people are supposed to have kids because they have the energy. But isn't it sad that THIS younger parent has just as much to learn as my children! I am so thankful that my Heavenly Father is teaching me and convicting me all the time. And usually, it isn't that much different than what I am trying to teach my girls. Thankfully, I still have another day, Lord willing, to try and correct the wrong attitudes and behavior that I displayed today. Days like today make me understand how easy it would be to ship my kids off each day and let someone else shape my kids. But I am not called to an easy life! None of us who follow Christ are going to settle for easy. We strive to live the example that Christ set for us and it is impossible on our own.
I acknowledge that I am not at all able to do this! I just pray that the lessons on forgiveness will stick with the girls and someday, all of the harshness, the wierdness and the embarassment will be forgiven. And maybe my love will make up for all the rest.

No comments: