"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1
Have you ever lost hope? How our perspective on life changes when we lose hope is astonishing. As long as there is a small bit of hope floating around in my heart then I can press forward. But the instant that hope is gone I am ready to throw in the towel. BUT, that's where the second part of the verse comes in, CONVICTION of things not seen. That's the part that hurts. To keep believing when nothing in your life shows any reason to believe.
That's faith. It applies to every part of your life. From the smallest cirmcustance to the largest.
Here's a small example from my life. We have been potty training Elise for at least 12 years. HA! That's how it feels anyway! No, it has been more like 8-10 months. I had lost hope. There was no signs of this taking hold anytime soon. My Mom gave me an egg timer. Something that LOTS of people suggested. But this little apple shaped egg timer brought hope to this sad, tired, little Momma. Now we are seeing some great improvements and she promises that she will poop in the potty when she turns 3! That's only a couple of weeks away. But hope made all the difference in our small circumstance. I was ready to invest in Pull Ups! I was in for the long haul and already thinking of what to tell her Kindergarten teacher, unless of course that ends up being me! Now that I have hope, I am prepared to stay the course!
Now for a big example from our lives. We left the dream job, in the most beautiful place in the world, living in the most beautiful house in the world and came to Texas with no job a more than twice smaller house, and the direct leading of the Lord. We started out with hope. Hope that God had a plan for us, a purpose for good and not harm. We are so blessed to say that despite the crazy journey we have been on that hope is still alive and well. If we didn't know without a shadow of a doubt that we are where God wants us it would just not be worth it!! But we have a CONVICTION of the Unseen!! That unseen for us right now is a position in a full-time church ministry position, and a Masters of Divinity. Right now, we don't have a job, Dan is throwing himself full-time into classes and we are waiting and waiting to hear from a church that feels God is leading us to serve with them. On the outside we look pretty hopeless! But we have an assurance in things hoped for and a conviction of things not yet seen. So, regardless of how our situation appears I have never been more content! IT does NOT make sense. But I am so thankful for so many things!! All of our needs are met; we have a pantry full of food, a freezer full of meat, all of our bills are paid. What else could we ask for? We get to see Dan lots right now and he has plenty of time to get his homework done so when he's home, he's OURS! I mean really, what else is there? I guess the only thing that would make me more content would be to have each and everyone of you right here with me to visit and laugh with. I might even make a chocolate chip cookie or two.
I hope you aren't short on hope right now. It makes all the difference in how you are able to look at your world and circumstances. Once you give up on hope then you might as well just give up!
But, it takes a little faith. I am so thankful that God blessed me with a husband who has taught me the joys and adventures of a life based on faith in a God so much bigger than anything I can imagine! But faith is a muscle that needs exercise and use. With out use it just turns into fat or withers away. As long as My God is the ruler of this world then there is hope!
No comments:
Post a Comment