Thursday, October 5, 2006

The Gene Pool

I have realized the gene progression in my children and this picture gives a clear example. FaithLyn has always been tall and skinny, even as a baby. Clearly B genes, there aren't to many tall Clarks, a few, just not in my immediate family. Elise has always been short and skinny, also from the start. So, we see some of the Clark genes very evident. But Olivia is a different story all together! She was tiny from the beginning, but she couldn't help that she entered the world 4 weeks early! Ever since then she been trying to catch up with her big sisters. She is and probably always will be shorter than average but let's face it she almost weighs as much as Elise! I love that she is chubby, not having a chubby baby up to this point. She has all the rolls and chubbies that other babies have. She is all Clark! Maybe we should stop now. We have all of the safe combinations of children. 1- full B(FL) ; 1- 1/2 B1/2Clark (E) ; and 1- full Clark. Thank goodness I know that they were each fearfully and wonderfully made by a Creator whose knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I can not attain it. Psalm 139. But regardless of how the Father put them together he used parts of me and parts of Dan. They are each so different yet so much a part of Dan and I. They are the perfection of our love and the wonder of our Lord. Not to mention they keep life interesting!! I am every day thankful for His gift though I admit I am not always excited about the amount of work it includes.

At the end of the day during supper when my nerves are very touchy and my patience has worn thin, I would still rather sit at my table with my three sweet if only human and sinful girls and try to make it through a meal with out a spill, a threat, refusal to eat, or loss of temper than eat alone. Parenting is the most worthwhile, challenging, frustrating, heart breaking, joyful, sweet, messy, painful, trying, rewarding, awe-inspiring job I have ever had. I love these three girls more than life itself! I love my Lord more and my husband still must come before them but that is how I am able to love them as much as I do. I love them by setting boundries, by giving up my time and personal desires to do things with them and for them and yet I can not love them as much the God who created them. So I will entrust their future, their care, and their souls to the Father that can love them without fail. I pray for His grace as I strive to love them with His love and I pray that He will grant us all mercy when I fall short of that goal. And fall short I do! OFTEN! Sometimes I forget these goals that are foundational to our parenting style. I get overwhelmed or most often too focused on the tasks and forget to nurture the relationships. At the end of the day all I can do is ask the the Lord to , "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" Psalm 139:23-24

Even as I consider the wonder of my children I am reminded that I am also known. And His grace is sufficient for EVEN me!


Enough said.



2 comments:

Erin said...

Human and depraved? No way. Not these babies. Not mine either. No way.
Hehe!

Andrea Casey said...

:) I can't wait to become a momma!