This morning I was reading a devotional thought about humility. I was convicted.
"A humility that freezes our being and frustrates all healthy activity is not humility at all, but a disguised form of pride. It dries up the roots of the spiritual life and makes it impossible for us to give ourselves to God." -Thomas Merton in Thoughts in Solitude
Then I read this quote by Helen Keller- "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker."
How many times do I hide behind the idea of striving for excellence? I do not follow God's call to accomplish some task or do a certain task because I am afraid of failure or accomplishing the task only marginally. I am reminded of the verses in II Corintians 12: 9-10
"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities , that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in presecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For wehn I am weak, then I am made strong."
How many times have I missed a blessing, not to mention the strength of the Lord, simply because I didn't want to appear weak, incapable, unintelligent, incompetent, under qualified, unable. How long will I stand in the way of God's greatness. He wants to show Himself in my life. He wants to exert His power in my everyday tasks yet I prevent it because I am afraid of failure!? I need to take a hard look at my heart and decide if I believe what Scripture says about my victorious Savior. Do I believe in Christ or will continue to limit Him because I believe in myself more?
I want to choose the freedom He offers. The freedom to be unhindered by the qualifications I put on success everyday. I would like to give up the expectations I have for myself and simply look to God. He doesn't expect much. He simply says, "Follow Me." All I have to do is choose to listen, and obey and I can be free from the standards of this world that are so much more burdensome than the freedom Christ offers. SO today, I choose Life. Life more abundantly, filled with the love and peace that no man can explain or understand.
2 comments:
I'm right there with you, Kelli...
I love that quote by Helen Keller. Our greatest example of humility is the Lord Jesus Christ. Every day I strive to be more like Him, and I fall so short. What a great God He is! Thanks for sharing.
love,
sarah
ps. my daughter's sleeping:)
Post a Comment