Friday, October 13, 2006

I am a Homemaker!

I have been learning so much about God's plan for me. This won't sound earth shattering for anyone esle out there, but for me, this is big stuff. Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to be a wife and mom. I decided to get an education and get certified to teach, just in case. But I always , always wanted to get married and be a mom! I got married at age 21, too young for most of the adults in our lives but just right for God's plan. I found out I was pregnant with my first child when I was 23! Despite the dreary circumstances we found ourselves in, no jobs, living with Dan's folks, I was so EXCITED!! Then God moved very quickly to show us that we were truly following His plan and He provided the perfect job for Dan and a home for us. So I was set. I was ready to be a Mom. During those few months while I grew a life in my belly I was as close as I have ever come to depression. The issue I was dealing with? How could I have issues when all of my dearest, oldest dreams were coming true? The problem was I had spent the last 18 years of my life studying to become something that I might not ever do. I was a house wife. And our house was a two bedroom suite in the 1800's hotel we worked at. So what on earth was I supposed to do with myself? I slept a lot, I read a whole lot, and I ate a lot. I am thankful we didn't have t.v. there! I struggled with being content and I couldn't figure out what I was missing. After talking it over with Dan for a LONG time I realized that I was mourning my "career". It seemed so crazy to me, because I never had one! But I felt so useless! Nothing that I did seemed to hold any purpose other than everyday life, and it definitely didn't seem to hold a purpose in the Kingdom.
That was four years ago and three children ago and I think I finally understand the purpose God has placed on my life as "only" a wife and mom. It's so easy to lose that focus in the early years of motherhood and marriage. But right now my sole purpose is to care for my husband, my children, and our home. In that order. And for the first time ever, it's enough! I love what I am doing and I have more drive to excel and purpose for excellence than ever before.
For the first time I am able to see how my care for my family truly does help Dan to be the provider, the protector, and the spiritual leader. And when I let him take care of those things, that are by the way, his God given role, then I am free to concentrate on fulfilling my God given role; to comfort, nurture, teach, and physically care for my family. I think that understanding the divinely designed responsibilities of each role has helped me to honor them.
Now, please don't misunderstand me, I am in no way saying I should not have been educated for a profession because some day that may be part of God's purpose for me, and in a sense it is His purpose for me now. I am better able to teach my children basic skills because of my education. I am also able to be a partner to my husband in thought and intellect. As he learns and grows in his spiritual leadership he teaches me and shares with me the knowledge he gains. Then I am able to supplement that knowledge on my own. I am speaking of his seminary "knowledge" here. I am ultimately accountable for my own spiritual growth and relationship with Christ.
I guess the purpose of these random musings is that God has finally granted me contentment in my role as wife and mother. When people ask me what I do I don't say "I am just a mom." anymore. I say "I am a Homemaker!" Because that is what I do. I strive to make a home that is comfortable, inviting, and full of the knowledge of Chirst and His love. That is something I can take pride in! It's not an easy job either.
I will still probably encourage my daughters to develop what ever skills they possess in the direction of a "career". But I will also make sure that they have a solid understanding of what God's purpose for marriage is and what responsibilities He has given to each gender. I also pray that my contentment, joy, and fulfillment as a homemaker will give them the same desire to be a wife and mom that I gained from my mother as a young girl.

I know I am not alone in this struggle! I know that other women struggle with this very same issue because it has been around for as long as sin has been around. I know because God said so! In Genesis 3:16 it says, "To the woman he said, 'I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.'" (emphasis added)
So ladies, at home, we are in charge of the children, and the home but NOT how it is run. We were created to be a "helper suitable". I think "Your desire shall be for your husband" means you want his job not your physical desire for your husband. Which by the way is a good thing to keep around! It has taken me a long time to come to my current level of understanding what respect for my husband looks like. I know I have a lot further to go but finally I can quit wishing I was doing what he gets to do and work on excelling in the place that God created me for! And when I excel as a wife and mother, then I make it easier for Dan to excel as a husband, father, student, and professional. It was meant to work that way! And it is amazing how well it does work when we are willing to surrender to God's plan.
So, if you are a wife, a mom, a working mom, a single mom, a daughter, a sister, or just a female, be encouraged. God does have a plan for you. He created it long ago. It has been tested and proven and created for us to thrive under. And no matter how many times you fold and put away clothes, or pick up toys, or wipe noses, or put your husbands underwear in the dirty clothes basket, or clean the toilet, or do the dishes, or fix a meal, with out a thank you; you are doing a divinely desinged task! It has a purpose more significant than getting through the day. And let's face it, we are usually just better at it!

1 comment:

Andrea Casey said...

Kelli, I love everything you wrote in today's blog! I can relate, although it's taken us years to finally start our family...but I've been so grateful that I get to be a homemaker and that I have a husband who encourages me in this role. Since we married, it's been a struggle when I see the grimaced looks on others' faces as I tell them that I'm a homemaker. Recently I realized, this may be the first area of my life where I've stepped out in faith, in obedience to what I feel the Lord has called me to do, even when all others around me seem to look down on me because of this choice. But then, I've observed how those people don't seem happy in their own lives, how their families struggle and each individual lives their own independent, lonely life. Todd and I don't want that for our family and we're willing to do what it takes to have a God-glorifying family, even if that means we aren't doing things the way everyone expects us to. And along the way, it's been incredible to see God at work. Anyway..I'm starting to ramble, but I just wanted to say it was great to read what's in your heart about being a homemaker. I can't imagine wanting to do anything else with my college degree. ;)