So my mom sent me this book. It is a great book and I recommend it for all you ladies out there. It is called for women only : what you need to know about the inner lives of men. Dan and I are always very honest with each other. No secrets, no hidden parts are withheld, but even so we are still a long way from the perfect couple! I feel like we have a great relationship and we are always willing to make things better. BUT, this book has opened my eyes! All of the problems that Dan and I have are discussed in this book. I always thought that I was just a numbskull but apparently I am not the only woman in the world to struggle with understanding my man. This book has helped me get inside a man's head like no man could do. Dan is really good at telling me how he feels and what's going on with him, but this book puts it in terms that I as a woman can get my brain around. It has been heart wrenching to see how ignorant I am when it comes to loving my man like he needs!
There have been so many times that I just thought Dan was being super sensitive but really he's just wired in a way that I couldn't understand. The biggest eye opener for me so far has been the chapter on respect. I respect Dan and trust him so implicitly but I hardly ever get that across to him. Or if I happen to get it right I undo all the good I have done by nagging him about something or making fun of the way he does things around the house. OR how about this one, in public we are talking and joking about something and telling stories on each other and I tell one too many stories or make Dan look or feel stupid! The author, Shaunti Feldhahn, likened this unto our husband "joking" in public about those 10 lbs we recently gained!! I can not imagine if Dan said something like this in public. I would DIE!! I had no idea how my "joking" made him feel. I will definitely try to be more sensitive next time!!
Don't you know that every time I am awakened to a new fault of my own and truly want to let Jesus change me that is precisely when it becomes an issue in my life! Just in the last few days I have been thinking about this respect issue and trying to figure it out and maybe because it has been on my mind that is why I have completely failed to make any head way in correcting it. To be sure I was even more insensitive and disrespectful! Well, last night it all came to a head and Dan and I had to have a talk. Thank God that I have a husband who is willing to talk to me and tell me when I am being a jerk!! I am truly thankful that he loves me enough to work through the hard stuff instead of ignoring it and hoping it will get better or correct itself. He told me what I had done and then explained how it made him feel and for the first time I GOT IT!!! It made sense to me. It broke my heart to finally understand how hurtful the words I speak and do not speak are to Dan with out even meaning to hurt him.
Well any way, all this to say that this book will more than likely revolutionize your relationships with men or at least help you to understand them better. I sure am learning a lot! And if you already knew all this then, WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?
1 comment:
Wow- this sounds great. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment