Well, I have to say, I will not miss city life in the least!! We have always known that this isn't the best part of town but I have never felt unsafe. Even when we occasionally hear a few gunshots somewhere in the area, I always know that it isn't on my street at least. We came home this evening to quite an alarming site. Right next door to us in the empty Seminary house was a Tahoe surrounded by SEVERAL police cars. My guess would be at least 10 cop cars where blocking the street. Since all of the other neighbors were out on their porches we sent the girls to get their pjs on and we sat on our porch.
Dan thought it important to document the event with a picture and of course I was indignant that he would even think of such a thing, but when he almost chickened out I egged him on! That's why the picture quality isn't the best but we will at least have documentation!
I have to admit I was a little embarrassed that I needed to sit and watch what was happening but I felt I needed to know what kind of danger we were actually in! Plus, this was the closest our neighborhood has come to a block party! Anyway, Dan didn't pull the van up very far in the driveway because we were a little distracted by all the flashing lights. So I couldn't really get a good look at what was going on. I decided to "do something" in the garage. There I could peek, unnoticed, from the garage windows and get a really good look at what was going on. I saw I woman sitting in the patrol car, obviously cuffed, and a man talking to her through the window. Then the cops started unloading the back of the tahoe. I saw a computer, stereo, and some other large objects make their way to their own patrol car.
Just as we were about to give up on getting any info, the campus security guard drove by and then backed up and pulled in to our driveway to fill us in. Three or four people were arrested. The cop pulled them over because the tags weren't current but then the people pulled into the house next to ours, a seminary house, and acted like it was their home. The campus security heard what was going on through the scanner and went to make sure the house was ok. Then the cops asked everyone to get out of the car and found LOTS of drugs and stolen stuff. OH, and did I mention the tahoe was stolen, too? WHEW!!! I am sure glad they weren't our neighbors!
Now, I need to say this because our Moms read this, WE WERE NOT IN ANY DANGER and never have been in this little house. God has taken good care of us and campus security is always driving by and they know who should be in the neighborhood and who shouldn't. BUT, at the same time I can't help but feel thankful that we are getting out of this city. And not soon enough if you ask me!!
1 comment:
Yeah, Iowa Park usually isn't so action-packed. :) We do have some over-zealous police, though, who like to pull over unfamiliar cars. The town is small enough, they pretty much recognize everyone, so we've been the oddballs on the side of the road a few times...at least until we met all the cops. :)
Post a Comment