Monday, April 3, 2006

Vacation 2006


What a week! We had the best time despite the cold that we all shared and the late nights up with coughing children. Let me start from the beginning.
We got there late Friday night just in time to get everyone in bed by 10:00. The next day started earlier than Dan expected. He woke up to find Elise trying to open the door and walk outside. Thank goodness we deadbolted the door! Just a side note: the first night of vacation in a new place isn't the best time to allow your 2 yr. old to sleep for the first time in a "big girl bed". Several hours later Dan came back to bed. I woke up thinking someone was breaking in to the house!
Saturday Dan took the girls for a swim in the gigantic jacuzzi tub in one of the bathrooms. Then we waited for Dan's high school friend Stephen Burden and his family to come for a visit. We had a great time. Stephen and Kendra have two daughters, Skyler, 5 and Haven, 2. The girls had a really great time playing together and I had a great time getting to know Kendra. It was a lot of fun and another late night for the girls.
We debated whether or not we should go to church but decided against it. Instead we slept in and made sure the girls got good naps. That night we went in to Harrisonburg to visit Dan's cousins, Keith and Kim Sandum and Ian. Kim took me to the Green Valley Book Fair. Ok, imagine a child walking into Toys-R-Us and someone telling that child that for today only everything is only $1. That's how I felt walking into this place! I found all kinds of great books I haven't been able to find anywhere else and none of them were more than six dollars!! While I was at the book fair Dan was being schooled on Dance Dance Revolution. We had a great visit with Keith, Kim and Ian.
Monday I went for my first tanning session. Then I took the girls to the real swimming pool and let Dan rest. That afternoon I got a pedicure and Dan took the girls swimming at a different pool. Then Dan's high school friend, Dave, came for dinner and a visit. It was great to catch up.
Tuesday we visited the Harrisonburg Children's Museum. It was a 100% hands on kids museum. It wasn't very big but it was so Great!! They had a garden that the kids could dig in. A market they could shop at, a full kitchen, child size, a barn, a small house in various stages of being built, a theater with lights, costumes, and make-up center, and a station where you just take things apart. There was a broken printer and other things that you could just tear apart. It was the best! The girls had a great time. Then spent a quiet evening at home.
Wednesday we went to the WaterPark! What fun!! Besides the fact that we spent only four hours total at the park it was a great time! We went for 2 hours in the morning, all of which we spent at the Frog Pond. The frog pond is the toddler area with bouncy chairs for babies and a two foot frog slide. We went home for nap time and came back to spend 2 more hours at the frog pond. Dan and I took turns going on other rides but it just wasn't as fun without anyone to scream with. We had a good time and the girls had a great time. It was worth it.
Thursday I went shopping. All by myself. It was great! I spent lots of money and I liked it!!
The next morning we got all packed up and drove home.

The next few days have been . . . predictable. The girls are crazy, the house is a wreck, our schedule is a joke, and now Dan is gone to his Challenge Course Conference until Thursday evening.
All that aside, we had a GREAT week! It was so much fun and very well worth it!! It's good to be back home and before you know it I'll have the girls and this house whipped back into shape! It never hurts to think positively!

No comments: