Sunday, April 9, 2006

Life is in the Air

Living in the North has given me a new appreciation for the seasons. Here we actually have all 4 seasons! You know all those sayings you learned about the seasons and months? April showers bring May flowers. March comes in like lion out like a lamb. Well the people that created those must have lived in Pennsylvania. Growing up in Texas I always wondered which flowers were the special May flowers because anything that was going to bloom usually blooms in early March or April. The flowers are just starting to bloom here and by flowers I mean spring flowers like daffodils and crocus. The lilac bushes are just now starting to bud new leaves. And they won't bloom until late May. I find myself getting antsy waiting for the new life of spring. It is so fitting that spring actually takes place with Easter. Isn't Easter about the hope of life everlasting?

My first Easter here in Pennsylvania I was really sad because I had to wear my coat!! Everyone was wearing gloves and scarves for the Easter sunrise service. The next year it even snowed! I grew up wearing sundresses to the Easter egg hunts not sweaters! But I have grown to appreciate these seasons and fear that I will soon grow sick of the Texas heat. It is so different here. Here you know it is finally spring time when you rush outside because the sun is finally shining and you have to catch every moment you can. You usually see more of the moon than you do the sun. You stop changing your plans because of the rain and you learn the fine art of grilling in a downpour. At least that is what I have learned from the gift of the seasons.

Growing up in Texas I got about two weeks of fall and two weeks of spring. And it never rained! Since my dad was a farmer rain was a reason to celebrate and because I helped my dad on the farm my sister and I often prayed for rain and even participated in a few rain dances. Now the rain is like an annoying neighbor that has lived next door for so long that you live together in a comfortable state of annoyance. You always complain about them but as soon as they go anywhere you immeditely miss them. There have actually been times, living here, that I have prayed for the rain to go away and come again another day. Never for my own benefit, of course! Usually because Dan is out leading a Jr. AO! and it always rains on Jr. AO! This weekend was no exception.

But today. . .today the sun is shining and there is just a touch of green around the edges of the world. My world. Even though it is in the 50's, which by the way is winter in Texas, it is a perfect day for a walk and a BBQ! It is the kind of day that makes you feel alive, really alive. All the worries that kept you awake last night don't seem so worrisome in the bright sunshine. Nothing seems bad in the beauty of God's magnificent creation. I mean just take a moment to think about the fact that the earth is coming back to life! Just like our Savior did two thousand years ago. It makes my heart skip a beat! Spring and Fall. Those are my two favorite seasons!! You know dying is just as beautiful as rebirth. If you don't know it's because you have lived in West Texas all your life and have never seen a true Fall. You probably haven't had much experience with trees either. It will take your breath away just as Spring with cause you to take in a deep slow breath of life.

If you don't have time to experience this miracle then YOU ARE TO BUSY!!! GO outside and breathe LIFE!

1 comment:

Love Mommas said...

It is 80 something here today...yeah, we are already sick of the heat! Maybe we can all move to PA when Dan's finishes seminary!

We can't wait to see you guys...heather