Monday, November 27, 2006

The Christmas Elves



Well, the Christmas season is upon us again! Somehow it always creeps up on me. At the beginning of the new year you think it will be forever before the next Christmas season and then BOOM! here it is again and I am never ready for it. I LOVE Christmas but it always catches me off gaurd. Someday I will be one of those women who plan for Christmas months in advance and have all of my shopping done by the end of the summer but right now I will just enjoy the flurry of activity that I know to be Christmas. I usually do better under pressure anyway. (Someone once said that's what people who put things off always say, and though it may be infinitely true, I resent it all the same!)

Anyway, here are my little helpers. Elise is looking quite fierce. We Bragdons take our tree decorating very seriously. Olivia helped me take the picture. You see the top of her little head in the left corner.

After being pregnant or nursing for 5 years straight I often blamed my forgetfulness on my hormone overload. I called it pregnant brain. Well, I haven't been nursing or pregnant for at least 6 months now and I haven't recovered from pregnant brain! Perhaps now I will call it Toddler Brain! But I never used to have to make lists to remember things like. . . Clean the Bathroom. Now, however, I find myself looking back on the day and always thinking what was it I was supposed to do today? Somedays are better than others. Like the week or two that I forgot to pay the rent!! Yep! Just forgot. I kept reminding myself to save the rent money because we needed to pay rent soon but two weeks later I realized we were sadly overdue!! Thank goodness the seminary is very gracious!! So for this Christmas season I find myself making list after list of things to accomplish in such a short span of time. I don't mind though, Christmas just gives me a more focused idea of how to show the love of Christ to others. I like to think that I strive for that always but this holiday season helps us all to remember a little better. My creativity is definitely being taxed this season, though. I am determined to have gifts for all of our loved ones and friends. Which means the girls and I will be doing lots of baking. I love to bake but try not to because for some reason baking leads to eating! SO if I give away all of my baked goods then I still get my baking fix without the temptation of overindulgence. Does anyone have any favorite holiday recipes that they would like to gift to us for this holiday? Candy, breads, drinks, what are your favorite Christmas food traditions? Lay 'em on me! Maybe if you share yours then I might share a few of my own.

Don't forget, too, that the busyness of this season isn't why we do it!! I, for one, do all of this crazy stuff to show the world that they can not take Christ out of Christmas. For me and my family, this season is all about Christ. If I can show that to at least one other person who has forgotten then all of the busyness and craziness is well worth it to me!!

1 comment:

Andrea Casey said...

What a wonderful time of year! Your tree looks great, btw! If I think of some good recipes to share with you, I'll pass them on.

Todd has been reading "Little House on the Prairie" to baby and me each night...each time I see an illustration of Laura in this particular set, I always think of your little Elise - these drawings look just like her!

Hope you and the girls have a blast baking!