Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Post Anti-TV Update

It would be a lie if I told you we have breezed through the last few days with out even a thought about TV and what we could be watching. We(I) have thought about it. The girls, mainly Olivia, has asked REPEATEDLY to watch. But frankly, we are too busy to watch TV right now.
As you can see Mount St. Laundry erupted on my couch Monday. The sad thing is, that wasn't even all the clothes yet! I had three or four more loads to add to that. So, Monday, thanks to some sick kids we were able to stay home ALL day and get some work done. I am not thankful my kids are sick but Mondays are super busy and following a super busy Sunday makes for a pretty hard start to a new week. We started by making some yummy chocolate pumpkin muffins. Then we tackled the floors in the living room and kitchen. With that done we moved on to the TV room to tackle the natural disaster on our couch. I broke out the Little House on the Praire DVD's and got busy. I folded and watched and cried and folded and watched and cried....by the 3rd episode I was sufficiently hardened to the pulling of my heartstrings by Ma, Pa, Laura, Mary, and Carrie. That's when I really got busy! I got all of those clothes folded but they are still waiting to be put away. Along with the 3-4 other loads that now need to be folded. It's a start!
We took a little break from folding to play.
I know I still have a long way to go. It is amazing to me to see how much more I get accomplished with out the added pull of keeping up with my "hollywood family". I have also been able to see some of the other habits that are leading to my ineffectiveness in my home. It's good. We haven't dug the bunny ears out of the trashcan. We won't. But there are some signs that I am starting to feel the effects.
Actual Conversation This Morning:
Dan: Kel, do you know what the weather's supposed to be like today? Is that front going to hit?
Me: I DON'T KNOW! I don't know anything anymore! WE DON'T HAVE TV REMEMBER!?"
Dan: "Kelli..."
Me: heavy breathing as I leave the room.....
We never even watched the news! I am a lunatic! But at least I have the ability to change that.
Don't I? I mean I am not just crazy am I? It's the withdrawl talking...it can do crazy things to you....CAN'T IT? HEY YOU! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME!?
Update: for those of you that like to keep up with these sorts of things....
The front rolled in this morning right as everyone left for school. I can hear the wind whistling under the doors and around the windows. It's a nice and gray Fall kind of day! Now I have to get back to my clothes. Mary and Laura are about to be invited to a town pary at Nellie's house...I don't want to miss it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think I need to do the same thing, but with the INTERNET! I'd get lots done if I didn't spend so much time online.

...Nah!! On second thought, that'd be hard! :)

(But you have inspired me to at least give it some thought!)

Randy & Laura said...

Hi there, guess what I am doing today... sorting through my own laundry backlog! I am so glad to know I am not the only one. My poor husband, just about every article of his clothes are in the laundry pile. I'm glad I found your blog. I never got to spend a lot of time with you in person, but hopefully we can bond a little online. :) Hope you have a wonderful day in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Andrea Casey said...

Thanks for the hardy laugh! I loved reading about your conversation with Dan! You'll get through it... I'm still dreaming at night about The Office characters, story lines are bizarre, but slowly, it'll all fade away. Gilmore Girls characters have gone away for good... ;)

The other night, Todd and I tried to watch one of our shows on his computer and it shut down on its own for no apparent reason. Our home computer had died...we had been watching some shows on that. The Lord must really want us to STOP watching TV... :|

Hope your withdrawals subside soon!

Mandy said...

I'm glad to see that someone else loves Little HOuse on the Prairie. I thought I was the only weird one!