
FaithLyn has been asking me for a while to teach her to read. She is getting pretty proficient in her letter and sound recognition. The last couple of weeks she has been trying to put words together with her magnetic alphabet so today we took the plunge. Mimi gave us some of her A Beka books so I dug them out and we got started. FaithLyn did so GREAT!!! I was amazed at how well she did. She made it through this first book. It was just about the best thing in the world to see the moment every word went from being sounds to an actual word in her head. She finished the whole book. It goes through all of the vowel sounds a,e, i, o, and u. They are all three and four letter words focusing on the basic vowel sounds. It goes through them all twice. She was so proud of herself. I was pretty proud, too. By the end of the book she was a little tired and had a harder time concentrating but she powered through it. You can see from the grin on her face that she was pretty excited to reach this landmark in learning!
I know we have lots more to learn but I am just so thankful! I have always wanted to teach my kiddos to read. I wanted to be the one to see that "AHA!" moment. It is so exciting and gratifying! It was nice to be able to encourage her and tell her how great she was doing. Unfortunately, I find myself nagging more often than praising.
Thank you, Lord that I got to experience this first flicker of a love for reading that I hope to instill in my children. Thank You, Lord that I was available for this teachable moment. May there be SOO many more!!! Bless FaithLyn as she develops a desire to learn and may she never grow tired of learning. Please protect her from ever thinking she has learned enough!
3 comments:
That's really exciting! Way to go FaithLyn.
David
FaithLyn - we're so proud of you! You are really growing up, girl. Pretty soon YOU will be reading bedtime stories to all your little brothers and sisters. Keep on practicing!
Yay!!! Great job, FaithLyn!!! I can't for Zoe to get to experience that!!! She has started talking about it more lately!!! :) Great job, Mom! ;) I know you are VERY encouraging! :)
Post a Comment