Last year, Dan and I started thinking seriously about traditions and how we want our family to celebrate holidays. I had this idea to help us celebrate Thanksgiving. It took me two years to impliment it but it's ready now. I copied a few leaf templates off of the family fun website (one of my links) and then traced and cut out a whole bunch of leaves on fall colored card stock. Now there are several ways to do that that are all tons easier. You can even buy the leaves cut out or have some sut out for you at most school supply stores for pretty cheap. But I was trying not to spend any money and I already had the card stock and I could do the work myself.
I did pay to have them laminated. It probably cost less than a dollar. Then I cut them out again. That's as far as I got last year.
This year we cut holes in the leaves and tied some hemp on to hand them. My original idea was to make a garland but this year I decided to make a tree. This way the girls get to help every year. I simply went outside, and thanks to that good 'ole Texas wind, found some branches that had fallen from our pecan tree. Then I got one of my empty pots, found some rocks and put the branches in. I taped them together so they wouldn't shift around. Then the girls hung the leaves. I fished out my black dry erase marker and put it in the pot with the rocks and then I picked a leaf and wrote our first blessing on our blessing tree.
Last night Judson slept from his last feeding until I woke him up for his first feeding this morning!! Praise the LORD! And he slept all the way through his first morning nap and is sleeping now!!! After the day we had yesterday this is a much needed blessing!
7 comments:
Hooray Judson! Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend! I'm a scheduler, too, and Katy had reflux (which I didn't know until I'd almost lost my mind from sleep deprivation!) She started feeling better and sleeping well around 10 weeks old...which made me thankful I'd continued all my efforts with her schedule even when it didn't seem to be working. :)
Great fun, friends! I love the tree! And, Hooray Judson. Double hooray for Kelli!
Love you guys-
What a great idea! ..and what a wonderful blessing!!! Way to go, Judson!
Yeah, Kelli! We're so happy for you! We'll pray he keeps it up.
Yay! Thanks for the bday blessings!!! :) I lost you for a few months! :) Didn't know where the blog went! Hehehe! So glad you commented! Congratulations on the first blessing!!! :) That is definitely what always gets me through that first phase...knowing that they WILL eventually sleep! ;) Miss you guys! :) Love that idea!!! We may just have to copy you! :)
I left you a comment on the Super Mom post! So glad to get to read your blogs again!!! :) Yay!
Just when you think there's no hope - is always when they seem to surprise you! I love the tree idea - very creative!
Mandy
Post a Comment